Welcome to Liverpool Confidential
Reset Password
The Confidential websites will be undergoing routine updates. This may cause the sites to go offline. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience.

You are here: Liverpool ConfidentialNews & CommentParish Pump and Public Notices.

Bedsit landlords fined

Fire hazards in unlicensed houses in Princes Park

Published on November 15th 2013.


Bedsit landlords fined

TWO Princes Park landlords who operated dangerous multi-occupied properties without licences have been fined. 

Azim Kibria, aged 31, of Hartington Road, Toxteth, pleaded guilty at Liverpool Magistrates Court to the offence and also admitted five breaches of safety regulations.    

The court heard that, in April, a City Council officer visited a 10-bedroomed property in Croxteth Grove, Toxteth, which was occupied by six tenants sharing kitchen and bathroom facilities. It was not licensed although this was required. 

The officer found that the ceiling of the cellar, which contained the gas and electric meters, had exposed floor joists; the partition wall between the cellar and the hallway did not provide adequate fire resistance and the door to the basement was not a fire door. 

There was no handrail to the basement stairway with the stairs being uneven increasing the likelihood of falling. There was also a gap in the kitchen ceiling which created a fire hazard. 

District Judge Wendy Lloyd presiding, fined Mr Kibria £1,200 and ordered him to pay costs of £1,240 to the City Council.  

Owen Gwynfor Hughes of Bentley Road Liverpool was fined £200 and ordered to pay £1,150 cost to the City Council for failing to license an House in Multiple Occupation and not providing a fire alarm.  

He said that he worked away and had rented out bedrooms in his six bedroom property to help pay the mortgage. 

Rogue

District Judge Lloyd acknowledged that he had not originally set out to start a business but said that once he had he needed to ensure he complied with the law particularly where the safety of others was concerned. 

Councillor Ann O’Byrne, cabinet member for housing said “We are doing all we can to stamp out rogue landlords and will continue to use all resources available to us to do so. 

“You are 16 times more likely to die in a fire in multi-occupied  properties than you are in a single family home which is why it is essential that there are adequate fire precautions.  It is the duty of the City Council to protect its citizens and we do this by enforcing these regulations vigorously”. 

Like what you see? Enter your email to sign up for our newsletters which are chock-a-block with more great reviews, news, deals and savings.

To post this comment, you need to login.Please complete your login information.
OR CREATE AN ACCOUNT HERE..
Or you can login using Facebook.

Latest Rants

Anonymous

How do you the poor owners aren't poorly? No need to be nasty is there?

 Read more
Judith Patterson

About time something is being done, its their own fault things have become this bad.

 Read more
Green Tambourine

Houses need to have plants growing in them. And ON THEM!!! And birds can live in the EAVES and make…

 Read more
Anonymous

A HOME for the TITS and SQUIRRELS!!!

 Read more

Explore The Site

© Mark Garner t/a Confidential Direct 2017

Privacy | Careers | Website by: Planet Code