Welcome to Liverpool Confidential
Reset Password
The Confidential websites will be undergoing routine updates. This may cause the sites to go offline. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience.

You are here: Liverpool ConfidentialNews & Comment.

City allocates £14m to open up 300 empty homes

Anfield, Tuebrook, Stoneycroft and Dingle the winners

Published on January 24th 2013.


City allocates £14m to open up 300 empty homes

MORE than 300 empty homes across the city could be brought back into use as Liverpool City Council reveals how it will spend more than £14 million in Government funding. 

A report will be presented to the Council’s Cabinet on Friday 25 January, setting out how the city will use the money – from the Government’s “Clusters of Empty Homes Fund” - to revitalise 306 properties. 

Liverpool has identified the following areas as priorities, with the £14 million investment broken down as follows: 

Anfield Village – £10m; 156 empty homes brought back into use

South Liverpool - £1.04m; 73 empty homes brought back into use

Kelvin Grove/Welsh Streets - £2m; 32 empty homes brought back into use. 

Councillor Ann O'byrneCouncillor Ann O'ByrneLiverpool City Council’s Cabinet Member for Housing and Community Safety, Councillor Ann O’Byrne, said: "These plans will accelerate housing renewal in the city, providing modern, affordable homes which people want to live in. They will help revitalise our neighbourhoods and support our plans to bring 1,000 vacant homes back into use over the next three years. 

“Housing plans for Anfield Village, the Welsh Streets and other areas of the city are progressing well and the allocation of this funding means we can continue to drive forward with the plans, delivering long overdue housing improvements in the areas which need it most. 

“We are consulting with residents at every step of the way and we will continue to work closely with them as these plans become reality.” 

Work is now under way on the £36 million Anfield Village and Rockfield housing schemes. A total of 562 properties previously earmarked for demolition - 156 of which are vacant – are to retained and refurbished, the council says.

Rent

£10 million from the Clusters of Empty Homes Fund has been allocated to the scheme, with the remainder coming from the city council and registered providers owning properties in the area - predominantly Your Housing Group. 

There are also plans to bring 45 empty properties back into use in Tuebrook and Stoneycroft. Liverpool Mutual Homes will purchase and refurbish the vacant properties and says it will offer them for affordable rent. Just over £979,000 has been allocated to this scheme. 

And in South Liverpool, the city council has announced it will work with Plus Dane to refurbish 105 houses, to create a combined mix of affordable and market rent properties. As part of this, 37 terraced houses in the Welsh Streets which had previously been earmarked for demolition will be rebuilt - including 9 Madryn Street, the childhood home of Ringo Starr. A total over just over £3 million has been allocated to south Liverpool. 

Liverpool’s funding forms the lion’s share of £16.5m awarded to the Merseyside councils by the Government. 

The remainder, over £2.5 million, has been allocated for projects in Sefton, Wirral and Knowsley.

 

 

Like what you see? Enter your email to sign up for our newsletters which are chock-a-block with more great reviews, news, deals and savings.

Judith PattersonJanuary 26th 2013.

I thought 9 Madryn street wasnt there any more, i thought it was moved Brick by Brick to the Musem? unless you mean the house he was in when Rhichie became a Beatle.

Cliff Edge-HillJanuary 26th 2013.

Such a shame that so many of these craftsmen-built dwellings were compulsorily-purchased and knocked down under the Illiberal Dimboprat council just to provide carved stone windowledges and other quality 'architectural salvage' for housing developments in the south east of England. I suppose that's where all the York stone pavements went too.

AnonymousJanuary 31st 2013.

I have been approached by the council as they want to buy my house in anfield of me they have offered me around £10,000 less than what the house is worth, I have shown them about 20 houses for sale within a 1 mile area of my house and each of these houses are around £10,000 more than what they have offered me for my house. They will buy houses at undervalued prices build new houses on the land and the people that sold the original houses to them won't be able to afford the new ones which is a scam and wrong

1 Response: Reply To This...
AnonymousJanuary 31st 2013.

Which is exactly what heappened in Edge Lane. In the meantime, long live the buy-to-let greedy carpetbagger whose high rents mean that the majority of people will never be able to afford a mortgage deposit

To post this comment, you need to login.Please complete your login information.
OR CREATE AN ACCOUNT HERE..
Or you can login using Facebook.

Latest Rants

Anonymous

I agree with the Councillor. His examples really don't go far enough, because of the complexities…

 Read more
Anonymous

Perhaps a "dolmus" system could be used in the city centre, they work quite well for tourists and…

 Read more
Fairminded

Not price related but sad to see that they are doing away with the Citylink bus. This runs around…

 Read more
Anonymous

Thank you Woo

 Read more

Explore The Site

© Mark Garner t/a Confidential Direct 2017

Privacy | Careers | Website by: Planet Code